What Is Discussed During Your Estate Planning Consultation?
The last thing that prospective spouses want to discuss is the possibility that their marriage will end, and planning for that kind of worst-case scenario can often be a difficult conversation.
However, if couples can lean into these conversations at the beginning of their romance, they may find a calming sense of security. While planning for a possible marriage ending – an outcome that is not wanted or expected – can be a tad dry, the action of articulating the future through meaningful discussions regarding money, property, and finances before marriage, can bring its own sense of tenderness and newfound respect for the commitment that both individuals are entering into with marriage.
At Morneau Law, our attorneys can help guide you through the financial benefits of entering into a prenuptial agreement. There are many important legal issues that a prenuptial agreement can address beyond each individual’s financial interests in the event the marriage ends through death or divorce.
A prenuptial agreement is a contract that prospective newlyweds enter into before getting married. The terms of a prenuptial agreement are effective and binding after the parties are legally married. Typically, prenuptial agreements govern financial issues between the parties.
A postnuptial agreement is similar to a prenuptial agreement, but it is drafted after a couple gets married. Just like a prenuptial agreement, a postnuptial agreement can help couples make financial plans, and in the event of a separation, a postnuptial agreement can ensure a smoother process when dissolving the marriage.
Who should get a Prenuptial Agreement?
- If either of you have substantial assets and property.
- If either of you have significant debts and obligations.
- If you have been previously married and divorced or are marrying later in life.
- If you have children from a prior marriage.
- If you believe it would be beneficial to create guidelines and a framework for defining future property rights.
- If you want to be prepared for uncertainties in the law regarding division of real property, a business, other assets, rights to spousal support, etc.
How can a family lawyer help? Morneau Law attorneys can assist you with:
- Determining whether a marital agreement is appropriate in your case.
- Drafting a valid and effective prenuptial or postnuptial contract.
- Reviewing the provisions of a prenuptial or postnuptial agreement.
- Offer feedback and answer questions about enforcement.
Contact Morneau Law
The family law Team at Morneau Law is committed to helping you through your specific legal endeavors from beginning to end. Our highly skilled and proficient attorneys are dedicated to assisting our Clients in navigating through life changing events like marriage and we pride ourselves on being honest, reliable, and committed to exceeding your expectations.
If you are interested in learning more about a prenuptial or postnuptial agreements, we can provide an initial assessment of your individual needs. During your consultation, we will discuss your case to determine the best path forward for you. Contact us today!
- Morneau Law Celebrates Over 10 Years in Business - 02/07/2023
- Morneau Law Proudly Partners with ASP - 12/29/2022
- The Three Top Reasons to Create an Estate Plan - 07/06/2022