Share This Story!

What Is The Difference Between Spousal Support and Child Support?

Although the national divorce rate is dropping, 39 percent of marriages will still end in divorce. When they do, there are a lot of questions that go unanswered as the difficulty of the decision weighs heavily on both spouses.

Who will remain in the family home? How will you and your spouse devise a time-sharing plan if you have children? With or without kids, the conversation will quickly turn to your financial well-being.

What defines spousal support in New Hampshire?

Money paid by one spouse to the other during the divorce process or after can be referred to as spousal maintenance, spousal support or alimony. One spouse is awarded spousal support depending on who earned more during the marriage, and the roles each spouse played during that marriage.

Spousal support is awarded by the court to maintain the standard of living both spouses became accustomed to during their marriage and is designed to allow the receiving spouse to maintain their previous standard of living and can be awarded on a temporary, rehabilitative or permanent basis.

Negotiating the proper spousal support payments and lengths that are right for you requires an experienced divorce attorney who uses each resource necessary to achieve the best result for your unique case.

What defines child support in New Hampshire?

When parents end their relationships, child support agreements can be outlined during the divorce proceedings, or while determining New Hampshire child custody arrangements and time-sharing responsibilities.

Child support payments are separate from spousal support and are used by the custodial parent for:

  • General household expenses, including food, rent or mortgage, and utilities to maintain a safe home for the children
  • Medical expenses, glasses and dental care
  • Furnishings, books and toys
  • School supplies, school fees, clothing and trips
  • Sports, clubs, lessons and extra-curricular activities
  • Additional needs of the children

Each parenting agreement is different and should be fully followed to ensure the children’s best interests are at the forefront of their growth.

If you have questions about divorce, spousal support, child support, or need help modifying an existing agreement, contact our New Hampshire family law attorneys at Morneau Law by calling (603) 943-5647 to schedule a free consultation.

Morneau Law